Equity Works was delighted to have a visit at the end of June from representatives from the Commonwealth Bank. Mandy, Ben, Phil and Deborah arrived with morning tea and a cheque for $10K following the successful Equity Works’ submission to begin a new and innovative program -Youth Works.
Equity Works receives CBA Community Fund Grant to Launch Youth Works
The program was conceived by Clare Edwards and Steph Whelan and aims to bring together ten young men and provide multiple opportunities for meaningful social engagement in the local community. The program will offer and work in collaboration with the young people to seek community based youth groups and activities focused on enhancing individuals social interactions and connections.
The ‘Youth Works’ program focuses on the young person’s aspirations and allows the person to explore their potential by introducing them to experiences and ideas within a small group setting. The young people will be supported and encouraged to participate by trained staffed who will act as mentors for the duration of the program.
The young people involved in the program will be presented with various planned activities which will target team/small group work as well as meet the individuals’ interests. Youth Works will encourage the young people to drive and shape the development of the program as each individual’s confidence and trust grows within the group.
All purposed activities in the program will include different levels of participation from local community members; organisations to educational and special planned events of the group’s choice.
‘Youth Works’ aims to:
- Create a safe and non -judgmental space where young people are able to express themselves and connect with others and peers.
- Encourage and support young people to engage in new activities and meet new people, in a safe and staffed environment.
- Provide information and advice for young people (targeted support when young people need it).
- A chance to gain confidence, achieve new experiences and make new friends.
- Present opportunities to eliminate social isolation for the young people who might not fit into the social ‘norm’ for mainstream or disability sector.
- To assist youth who are at risk of disengaging or already have no opportunity to meet and socialise with own peer group.
- To engage or re-engage young people into appropriate and meaningful social settings.
- To provide opportunity for young people to be introduced to community settings such as local youth groups (mainstream and or disability).
- Group work will consist of connections which provide a holistic approach to supporting young people in a personalised way.
Equity Works would like to express their sincere thanks to the Commonwealth Bank for their support of the Youth Works Program. We thank, in particular the team that took the time to meet with us, allowing us to share the many facets of Equity Works and our services.
|Mandy Cummins||Relationship Manager – Local Business Banking|
|Ben Rugers||Transaction Banking Team Leader QLD Transaction Banking|
|Phil Walmsley||Area Manager Sunshine Coast CBA Retail Banking|
|Deborah Rohweder||Branch Manager CBA Nambour|
If you are interested in finding out more about this initiative please contact Clare Edwards at the Equity Works Office on 5441 2122.